Dr. Paola S. Timiras was born Born Paola Silvestri on July 21, 1923 Rome, Italy.
She obtained her medical degree from the University of Rome La Sapienza
in 1947 and her Ph.D. from the University of Montreal in 1952.
During her postdoctoral work at the University of Montreal her
supervisor was the endocrinologist Hans Selye. One of Timiras's
colleagues was fellow postdoc and future Nobel laureate Roger Guillemin.
Hans Selye, who had developed the first theories about the body's hormonal
responses to stress. At his suggestion, Timiras applied for and won a research
fellowship that allowed her to work in his lab. There, she studied how stress
influences the immune system through the effects of adrenocortical hormones.
Before she finished her degree, the university hired her as an assistant professor.
Very little research had scrutinized the effects of hormones on the brain,
so she decided to focus on this area. In 1954, she moved to Salt Lake City
to pursue that line of inquiry in the pharmacology department at the University of Utah.
In 1955, she joined the University of California, Berkeley physiology
department as an assistant physiologist and was appointed to the faculty in 1958.
She became a full professor in 1967, and Professor Emeritus in 1994.
Dr. Timiras and Dr. Paul Segall established the Center for Research and Education on Aging (CREA) at UC Berkeley in 2000.
She has published more than 15 books and hundreds of peer reviewed papers.
Recently at UC Berkeley, Timiras and her graduate students, in collaboration
with Steven A. Garan, studied the effects of caloric restriction on various
hypothalamic nuclei, specifically the effects on cell density, estrogen
receptor alpha immunoreactivity and
insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) receptor immunoreactivity.
An Automated Imaging Microscope System (AIMS) was developed in
order to generate three-dimensional maps of the mouse hypothalamus.
Honors and Awards
- 1970: President, Iota Sigma Pi, Association of Women Chemists
- 1974-1982: Vice-President and President, International Society of Psychoneuroendocrinology
- 1978-1982: President, International Society of Developmental Neuroscience
- 1984: Silver Award from the University of Chieti Medical School, Italy, for consultation on establishing courses on aging
- 1985: Gold Medal for Research Award, American Aging Association
- 1987: Andres Bello Decoration from Venezuela for contributing to international biomedical advancement
- 1990: Medal from University of Paris, XI, for promotion of joint Paris XI-UC Berkeley programs in biomedical sciences
- 1991: Medal from University of Pau (France), for fostering France-USA cultural relations
- 1996: Medal from University of Pisa (Italy), for fostering Italy-USA scientific/ biomedical relations
Selected Recent Papers
- "The plasticity of neural cell reprogramming: Role of growth factors in inducing neuroglia to neuron and to neural precursor cell". A.M. Gouw, K. Mahuron, S. Manandhar, A. Tin, S.A. Garan, P. Hakimi, P.S. Timiras; Experimental Gerontology", Volume 44, Issues 1-2, January-February 2009, Page 129
- "Caloric restriction reduces cell loss and maintains estrogen receptor-alpha immunoreactivity in the pre-optic hypothalamus of female B6D2F1 mice". Yaghmaie F, Saeed O, Garan SA, Freitag W, Timiras PS, Sternberg H.; Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2005 June;26(3):197-203.
- Timiras PS, Yaghmaie F, Saeed O, Thung E, Chinn G., The ageing phenome: caloric restriction and hormones promote neural cell survival, growth, and de-differentiation., Mech Ageing Dev. 2005 Jan;126(1):3-9.
- "Towards a self-learning, self-assembling systemic map of neuroendocrine aging", S.A. Garan, W. Freitag, F. Yaghmaie, B. Oster, P. Chrysler, R. Bacinello, K. Honeyford, P. Yaghmaie, M. Voelker, P.S. Timiras; Experimental Gerontology, Volume 39, Issues 11-12, November-December 2004, Page 1767
- Curcumin inhibits dose-dependently and time-dependently neuroglial cell proliferation and growth., Ambegaokar SS, Wu L, Alamshahi K, Lau J, Jazayeri L, Chan S, Khanna P, Hsieh E, Timiras PS., Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2003 Dec;24(6):469-73.
- Weinert BT, Timiras PS., Invited review: Theories of aging., J Appl Physiol. 2003 Oct;95(4):1706-16. Review.
- Creating Three-Dimensional Neuronal Maps of the Mouse Hypothalamus Using an Automated Imaging Microscope System., Garan SA, Neudorf J, Tonkin J, McCook LR, Timiras PS., Experimental Gerontology, Volume 35 numbers 9-10, December 2000, page 1421
- Protective action of 17beta-estradiol and tamoxifen on glutamate toxicity in glial cells., Shy H, Malaiyandi L, Timiras PS., Int J Dev Neurosci. 2000 Apr-Jun;18(2-3):289-97.
- Estrogens influence growth, maturation, and amyloid beta-peptide production in neuroblastoma cells and in a beta-APP transfected kidney 293 cell line., Chang D, Kwan J, Timiras PS., Adv Exp Med Biol. 1997;429:261-71.
- Effect of growth factors on the in vitro growth and differentiation of early and late passage C6 glioma cells., Goya L, Feng PT, Aliabadi S, Timiras PS., Int J Dev Neurosci. 1996 Jul;14(4):409-17.
Physiological Basis of Aging And Geriatrics by Paola S. Timiras, August 2007 4th edition
Stress, Adaptation, Longevite by Paola S. Timiras, January 2004
Physiological Basis of Aging and Geriatrics, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), September 2002 3rd edition
Studies of Aging : Lab Manual, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Hal Sternberg (Editor), September 1999
Genetic Aberrancies and Neurodegenerative Disorders, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), E. Edward Bittar (Editor), Mark P. Mattson (Editor), October 1998
Advances in Cell Aging and Gerontology : The Aging Brain, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), E. Edward Bittar (Editor), Mark P. Mattson (Editor), James, W. Geddes (Editor), March 1998
Brain Plasticity : Development and Aging, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Antonia Vernadakis (Editor), Guido Filogamo (Editor), Alain M. Privat (Editor), Fulvia Gremo (Editor), December 1997
Advances in Cell Aging and Gerontology : Some Aspects of the Aging Process, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), E. Edward Bittar (Editor), October 1996
Hormones and Aging, by Paola S. Timiras, Antonia Vernadakis (Editor), Wilbur D. Quay, April 1995
Physiological Basis of Aging and Geriatrics, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), October 1994 2nd edition
Plasticity and Regeneration of the Nervous System, by Paola S. Timiras, Ezio Giacobini (Editor), Alain Privat, December 1991
Handbook of Human Growth and Developmental Biology : Developmental Biology of Organs and Systems Part A Muscle, Blood, and Immunity, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Esmail Meisami, January 1991
Handbook of Human Growth and Developmental Biology : Endocrines,Sexual Development, Growth, Nutrition, and Metabolism/Part B Growth, Nutrition, and, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Esmial Meisami, February 1990
Handbook of Human Growth and Developmental Biology : Endocrines, Sexual Development, Growth, Nutrition, and Metabolism/Part A Endocrines and Sexual, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Esmail Meisami, October 1989
Handbook of Human Growth and Developmental Biology, Part B : Sensory, Motor, and Integrative Development, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Esmail Meisami, October 198
Handbook of Human Growth and Development, Part A, Developmental Neurobiology, by Paola S. Timiras (Editor), Esmail Meisami ,September 1988
Model Systems of Development and Aging of the Nervous System, by Paola S. Timiras, Jean M. Lauder, Antonia Vernadakis, Alain Privat, Gi, August 1987,
A Stereotaxic Atlas of the Developing Rat Brain, by Paola S. Timiras, Nancy Sherwood, January 1970